Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Today's Action

I interviewed with a company 2 weeks back. It was for an Architectural Sales position. The first interview was tough as I felt I was being put through the ringer. I decided to push back a bit because I didn't want to walk away from it thinking that I should have been more aggressive. It worked. After the interview the guy told me that he's not a "dick", his words, and that he wanted to see how I responded to possible rejection.

I got to meet with the President of the company and I felt real good about the interview. I felt good because I gave 100 percent and walked away knowing I could not have done any better. I also walked away knowing that I wasn't going to get it. Although I worked getting products specified by many of the top Architects and Engineers, this was a high end glass company and I knew they wanted someone with more of an eye for art, more of a designer. My idea of art is Kieth Haring, theirs was Degas or Daygas as I called him while ordering tickets for an exhibit a few years ago. I'm not into ballerinas.

I got the bad news today but they did leave the door open a bit. They are building a new sales force and the next position is for a national specifier and the President asked that we stay in touch.

Now it's on to next week's huge interview with a large equipment company. The position deals with industrial accounts. They are a nationwide company and this is a new position for them. They liked that I have construction and industrial experience. I'll update this next week.

No comments: