Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Wow, My Kinda Guy

Had a dinner interview this evening. The guy was from NY but working out of the Philly office, so he invited me to dinner. Very nice conversation, as a matter of fact, he said something that I always thought to myself. He said that if you're a good salesman, you can sell anything.

I agree with that statement. Yes, I may not have contacts in your industry but don't you? Don't you have a list of customers for me to see and then add on to? I probably don't know your products but I'm not a tool and it's not rocket science is it? I had one person downplay the fact that I sold concrete but their product was a bit more chemically involved. I then let him not that there was a chemical process behind concrete and that over or underwatering the product was bad. Concrete heats up, it's part of the process and causing it to heat to fast will cause it to crack. Oh, I didn't know.

So when this guy made that statement, I lit up. Yes, I was previously in his industry, wire and cable, but it's been awhile. He's looking for someone with industrial experience and he'll worry about products later. As a matter of fact, he said it's the inside guys that need to know a lot about the products and the outside guy to establish the relationship.

My kinda guy.

No comments: